New Hudson Motor cycles New Hudson Motor cycles New Hudson Motor cycles

History

The New Hudson marque began in the late 1800's as a bicycle factory in Birmingham, England. The owner, George Patterson, made his first motorcycle in 1902, but as it was not a sales success, no more motor cycles were produced until 1910. From 1910 to 1932; with the exception of years 1915 to 1919 when WWI meant only munitions and bicycles were made; motorcycle production averaged about 2000 each year. The company were always keen on gaining success in motor cycle sport and gained many good results. However lacking the finances of larger companies their best result in the Isle of Man TT was Jimmy Guthrie's second place in the Senior event in 1927.

1932 Model 32 de Luxe 350 cc
1932 Model 32 de Luxe 350 cc

In 1932 due to the depression motor cycle production ceased as it was no longer profitable. However, the company continued to make bicycles, and also diversified into making the Girling brake systems for cars.

In 1940 the bicycle factory began to produce an autocycle with a 98cc Villiers engine which was a success. The bicycle factory was purchased by BSA in 1943 and production continued under the New Hudson name. The Girling brake factory passed into the ownership of Joseph Lucas. After the second World War B.S.A. continued to make autocycles bearing the New Hudson name until 1957.

The full history of New Hudson can be found in the book "New Hudson, The History of a Motor Cycle Company" by Eric Londesbrough. Unfortunately all copies of the printed book have now been sold, but I can supply it in electronic format on a CD which can be read on almost any modern computer. It is fully illustrated showing nearly all New Hudson models. Price is £6.99 in the U.K., £7.50 in Europe, and £8.50 in the rest of the world. These prices include postage and packing, and profits from sales go to Cancer Research. Please refer to the Services Page for ordering details.